Friday 2 March 2012

My hours

I didn't want to get into another fight with HR, I really didn't, but somehow every time I have to interact with them it turns into a fight.

My contract says that my hours of work are 8.30-4.30 during term time and for 15 days during the holidays, but there are a number of reasons why I prefer to start work at 8 instead.

I live a stupid distance from work and the roads are so much quieter if I leave home at 7 than if I left at 7.30. Also it's much easier to find a parking space before 8am. It's also better for the department if I start earlier. 3 days a week lessons carry on until 5.15, so any equipment they've been using won't get cleared away until the morning and it's good to have more time for that and I also get a chance to see my teachers before they head off to assemblies, tutorials etc.

Anyway, I've been working from 8 for well over a year now, and for some ridiculous reason I thought it might be a good idea to formalise the arrangement, so I e-mailed HR and said that I would like to either work 8-4 or  alternatively 8-4.30 but with fewer days during the holidays. The total number of hours would be the same either way as those that are set out in my contract. I foolishly thought that this was a simple request and could be resolved quite quickly. How very wrong I was!

Apparently my hours can only be changed if the Biology and Chemistry technicians also change. Why?? We are doing different jobs in different departments and I can't see how the hours that I work can have any impact on my colleagues. There are technicians in DT and Art as well. Should they be working the same hours too? After all, they are technicians too.

Thankfully my HoD has my back as usual. He thinks HR are being ridiculous and he's going to make that point very strongly when he meets with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment