Thursday 16 January 2014

So, I'm a TA now

Just before Christmas senior management gave the go ahead for one technician to start working and training as a TA. We had a technician meeting and neither bio or chem tech wanted the gig, so it fell to me by default.

I've been given a timetable and all my teachers know that during those periods I won't be available to help them out unless it's an emergency. They've also all been asked to be a bit more organised with their requisition sheets so I have plenty of time to plan my week. I'll believe that when I see it!

The school want me to get a qualification, so I'm being enrolled on a competence-based thing called 'supporting teaching and learning'. A lot of the stuff I do as a technician will count, but when the assessor comes to visit she will need to see me supporting in Maths, ICT and English.

Maths and ICT are no problem. Plenty of both to be found in physics. English on the other hand is not so straightforward and I've been told I will need to do 1 lesson of English a week.

So far I'm starting to quite enjoy the physics lessons, but I'm dreading English. It was one of my worst subjects at school and I don't know what possible use I could be in a bottom set year 11 English class. Apparently the English department are delighted so I hope I don't disappoint them too much!

1 comment:

  1. The question came up about a new technician doing the job of a TA during her interview and took me by surprise. My response is, how is it possible to prepare delivery of up to 6 lessons while you are in a classroom being a TA. Of course time in the classroom is very fulfilling for one's day but here the schools are trying to take advantage.. Already we are term time only and many schools are trying to get us to take on more for less to save money. They have to pay the staff salaries of 100k for head teacher, 80k for four deputy heads. 50k for heads of department and so on.. by the time we reach the poor TA's there is no money left it seems! Technicians are being made to invigilate exams, three hours out of their day, become TA's and they are being cut in numbers and grading so that even a senior technician is likely paid under 20k these days.. If schools need another TA then they should pay for one, if they have not the money then it is a question of a lack of respect for your job and you as a person to make you one which will put you under pressure in your actual role in the school, that of lab techncian! WHat consultation was done with you before this role? It appears you have been conscripted into it ...Technicians in English lessons?? What on earth is going on there!!! Seriously, your senior management are on good money and are exploiting you!!

    ReplyDelete