Thursday 9 February 2012

In praise of steam engines

Yesterday one of my teachers did an energy transfers circus. The kids had various things to play with - torch, dynamo, pendulum, solar cell etc - and they had to think about what forms of energy were involved.

As a demo I gave him our lovely Mamod steam engine, which went down an absolute storm! The year 9 pupils had no idea such things existed, and several of them wanted to know where they could buy one.

I couldn't believe they'd never seen one before, but then I was brought up by an engineer and spent numerous childhood weekends wandering round steam rallies (I highly recommend Tinker's Park) looking at the real thing. There's nothing quite like the sound and smell of a steam engine, and I'm so glad some of our students got to experience it even on a small scale. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment