Thursday 10 May 2012

PDR

The last time I had a Performance and Development Review was 8 years ago - not at this school, or even at my last school, but at the first school I worked in - so frankly it's about time for another!

I was informed today that PDR for support staff is going to be happening some time during the next month, and the Head of Science has sent us a copy of the form that we'll have to fill out. I don't exactly find PDR a lot of fun, but I do believe that if done properly it can be a worthwhile exercise. My heart sank then when I looked at the form. The very first 'Area of Work' on which we are to be reviewed is headed 'Customer Focus'.
I do hope someone will tell me who exactly the 'customer' in this scenario is meant to be! Is it the teacher who orders the practical equipment from me? Or is it the students who benefit from carrying out the practical activities? Or is it the parents who pay to send their kids here? And how am I supposed to be focussed on the customer? I do my job to the best of my ability at all times. What more do they want?

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be another pointless box ticking exercise and that this form was just borrowed from somewhere else without considering whether it's actually relevant to the types of jobs done by the employees concerned?



No comments:

Post a Comment