Friday 6 June 2014

Group 4 headaches

As part of the science part of their IB (International Baccalaureate) diploma, our lower 6th students have to complete something called a Group 4 Project.
We take the whole group off timetable for a couple of days, and they have to work together in small teams to carry out an experiment and then report their findings to the rest of the group. They are marked on their teamwork and presentations rather than the quality of the experiment.


In the past we have always given them around half a day to plan their experiment and draw up their requisition list and then we as technicians have a week to get the equipment together before the experimental session. This year, however, my HoD decided to let them start the experimental work on day 1. I can see some benefit as they are getting to try out and develop their ideas, but from a technician point of view it is turning out to be a nightmare!


Roughly every 90 seconds I'm getting a knock at the prep room door and usually find a queue of 3 or more students all wanting stuff. They're only asking for little things each time but it's adding up to one big headache especially as many of them are not physicists and don't really know quite what they want. I had one very sweet lad come down from biology who said 'I need something, I think it's called a power pack'. You should have seen the look of terror on his face when I asked what voltage he needed and whether he would like stepped or continuously variable. Then I had to show him how a croc clip works.


They've gone to lunch now, but will be back in about an hour. I'm tempted to lock myself in a cupboard and refuse to come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment